Saturday, April 21, 2012

Invasion of the Pickleworms

After a couple of nice Gold Rush Squash harvests I am now finding a lot of damage to young fruit. I had this same problem the last time I grew Zucchini Squash.

mature Gold Rush Squash Plants










 















I removed all the infected fruit. Fortunately, there are still a few left that have not yet been infected. Most of the damage seems to be limited to just one of my three plants.


Inside the damage fruit I found what appears to be some very disgusting pickleworms.




I applied Bonide bacillus thuringiensis (BT) at a rate of 1 tsp in 32 oz water. I will keep a close watch to see if this helps.

Since BT does not have much of a storage life and I had a lot left over I sprayed the rest on my Chinese Cabbage, which is suffering from some type of pest problems also.
And since I was on pest patrol I also applies some of my soap and oil mixture on the Georgia Collards to control the Aphids. I also noticed this solution did a great of washing off the powdering mildew.



No comments:

Post a Comment